Thursday, July 8, 2010

I finally have something to do!

First of all, I would like to apologize for my long absence. I promise it will not happen again. To be honest I began to feel like I was treating this blog with the same lack of respect as Mike does and I couldn’t have that. (Just kidding Mike, kind of) However, my absence was not without good reason.
I spent 10 days, June 25 – July 4th working at a booth for a Chinese restaurant the Taste of Chicago. While the money was good I would never do it again. I woke up at 6:45AM everyday and did not arrive home until after 10PM each night. The heat was unbearable and I have no desire to eat orange chicken for at least the next 5 years. I also mildly lost all faith in humanity as I watched hordes of unforgiving people savagely attack for food. Thinking about it makes me hurt, so that is all I have to offer on that.
However, in more exciting news, during the mess of the Taste I interviewed with and was offered a position to be a Site Coordinator/AmeriCorps*National Direct at a non-profit called LIFT located in Uptown Chicago. (see below for what I do) So for exciting news: I HAVE A JOB! (for the next two years anyways) I started training on Tuesday and absolutely love it! My co-workers are awesome, the organization is great and everyday is different. I’ve mainly just been learning the ropes and transitioning into the position as the outgoing site coordinator gets ready to leave. I’m also gearing about for the national training in DC in two weeks – everyone says it is going to be awesome. So hopefully this big change in my life will give me a lot more to blog about than the typical “Today I applied for jobs” that I had been doing.
My job: LIFT is a national organization based in DC and working to combat poverty in neighborhoods in Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, New York and DC. As a Site Coordinator, I am serving LIFT by managing the Uptown site with one other Site Coordinator, one of our 3 sites in Chicago. The organization utilizes college students as volunteers to provide a variety of services to clients such a housing, employment and public benefits. I work to coordinate the volunteers, the client services, community outreach and mange the office. I am really freaking pumped.
There’s a quick update! Which I’m sure was way too long for Eric. Sorry for the hiatus, I’m back in the blog and ready to keep you engaged in the mundane and extraordinary! Peace out!

9 comments:

  1. I was about to make a joke about how you getting a job fixed your spelling. Then I realized this post was written in Times New Roman while all the others on the blog are in a different font. You totally wrote this in Word first so you could use the spell check and we couldnt make fun of you. Fail. I am calling you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, my internet went out right before I was going to write that blog post. So, I decided to engage in the old Apt 212 trick of blogging on word and then posting when the internet was back up and running. When the blogging mood strikes you have to follow it, couldn't waste time until the internet came back. Sooo BOOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the Apt 212 trick was to bike to the library cause there was nothing else to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of us were not invited to go buy bikes...WAY TO BRING IT UP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ok. My "bike" is currently rusting at OPD impound. It was my end of the semester gift. Hopefully someone stole it before they could get it. Doubtful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not doubtful at all. Thanks for bringing up that painful subject. No wonder you didn't get a security deposit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you want the bike or something?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wait, I remember now. Someone stole your bike!

    ReplyDelete