Monday, July 5, 2010

Ode to The Green Lady

It's been a while. I've been busy. And I've taken enough crap from my friends at home, so I'll have none of that here.

Had my sister's grad party last weekend (this was the cause of most of my absence); a handful of devoted friends came into town to celebrate. Eric of course beat everyone else here (even mdull who only needed to drive from her nearby home). There was cornhole with my wonderfully crazy aunt, volleyball in which we (Eric, Ben, Molly and me) defeated the punks who were on a team with my sister. It was great, and I'm surprised Eric didn't blog about it. Oh well, I got to.

The whole run-up to the party and the party itself left me pretty tired but finally this weekend I picked myself up and went out car shopping with dad. On Saturday I became the proud owner of a Hyundai Sonata, although this also marked the end of an era, which I'd like to detail a little further.

My junior and senior years of high school were laced with trips to and from school in a '93 Plymouth Acclaim. The third driver of this car after two great-grandmothers before me, I began to grace it's bench seat in 2005 when the odometer read a mere 50,000 or so miles. "The Green Lady," as she was so dubbed, was present for many of my fondest memories: doughnuts in the snow, trips to Cedar Point, commuting to my first science-y job (sans A/C), and a hopeful restoration of A/C by my grandfather with freon from Mexico (which failed). Needless to say, the 'Lady had been called on in my times of need, and she delivered with all four cylinders.

The only thing left of The Green Lady are her license plates, and a small pile of rust that accumulated when we shut doors, the trunk, or--most recently--freed her immobile back wheels. I followed her to her final resting place (as I choose to believe) in the back of the car dealership who gave us $250 for her. After a somber goodbye, I turned my attention to more pressing matters--the trunk release button in the new car. The Sonata currently has no nickname, and I'm not sure that it will. Maybe it will come, but I doubt that if it does, it'll ever be as perfect as "The Green Lady."

3 comments:

  1. Matt, I feel your pain. I too must give up my beloved automobile at the end of the summer. The Rogue Squirrel and I have been inseparable for almost 7 years now. Perhaps I can cry on your shoulder when it actually happens since you've been through it? Until then, I will continue my search for someone willing to store it for 3 years for free so I can someday restore it for my progeny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its funny that a car that was driven by grandmas and only had 50k miles on it lasted less time than my plastic chariot, which I beat to hell on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I get it, your machine is superior.

    ReplyDelete