Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Despite My Best Efforts, Matt is Home

Matt has been gone for a while. I don't know when he left, all I know is that he missed my(his) volleyball game last Thursday. He did not come home on time because Atlanta got an inch of snow. This shuts down the city. The only things that were still operational were the limo drivers and blogger (though I hear some chick named Jodi wanted to be operational wink wink).

Anyway, Matt has no thoughts for the well-being of his friends and insisted that we not leave him at the airport over night. He flew into Dayton around 9. Courtney, tired of his whining, decided we needed to pick him up. I would have liked to not. I made my Facebook status "Going for a drive." my one response? "Bad idea." And it was, but no one died. Crap, I just ruined the ending.

Long story short, things went great for about 100 miles, then things started going sideways. The no longer going straight happened at a relatively high rate of speed, as the road we were on was pretty clear. What I could not tell from inside the car was that everything was starting to melt and basically become slick as a slushy road. But yeah, I was driving if I didn't make that clear, I corrected the off-kilter-ness like three times. I am not talking about like oh, we are a little off center, this was the car insisting on spinning and me reminding it who was actually in charge. I would guess that it was about 30 degrees off center. Well it turned out that the car had an ally in its suicidal mission and we ended up doing a 3/4 spin and going tail first into a large bank of snow...on the other side of the road.

The underside of Courtney's car is completely made of plastic. Thus, there are no places to attach a means of pulling. This fact thwarted the first valiant attempt at our rescue. Luckily, this part of Ohio is almost exclusively populated by crazy rednecks who love joy-riding in terrible weather conditions. While we were trying to phone a tow company, a big white lifted truck came flying by, slammed on the brakes, did a burnout turn, came flying back, and skidded to a stop in front of the car. At this point I knew we were saved...either that or we were about to be killed by maniacs. Two guys in carharts jumped out of the truck and in response to my saying there was not much to tie on to said "there's always SOMETHIN to hook onto!" After some digging under the car, they got a rope attached to "somethin" and pulled us out like nothing.

That's the end of my story. It was really exciting, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment