Wednesday, February 24, 2010

...And You'll Have Things You Want to Blog About

So yeah, I recently got back from Madison, WI where I was visiting the University of Wisconsin. It was great--so great, in fact, that I found myself scribbling down things to blog about on the plane ride back (I didn't want to forget them/I'm a nerd). Here's the skinny:

Neurotic Girl
There was this girl there (really cute, actually) who is from a small school in upstate New York. We met at dinner the second night, and then proceeded to sit next to each other at the UW hockey game they took us to (UW lost 1-5...while I kept getting updates such as "big fight!" from Pat). A few things I learned about her: she doesn't like most foods. Pasta is ok, as long as there is no sauce. Most candy is a go. This girl is on the track/XC teams and is skinny as a rail. She's also nuts. After her water bottle was confiscated at the door, she pleaded like a 5th grader who just lost his bouncy ball to the teacher to arrange for a way to pick it up. The old cheesehead working the door was like "yeah honey, I'll meet you right here after the game." While we walked to our seats, she talkeamileaminuteabouthowitwasherfavoritewaterbottle--itcostme$25--anditsaysIheartrunningonit!...who pays $25 for a water bottle?! Matt decides to find new recruits to hang out with.

Kanuk
I don't know if that's really how you spell the slang word for "Canadian," but I'm gonna go with it. One guy was from somewhere in Canada. He was Eastern-European-Canadian, so whatever. He kept talking up the US/Canada hockey game (hahahahahaha) and such. He said "eh" a few times too. He also thought he had game. He did not. We went out dancing one night (it was free--why not?) and he gets this look on his face--clearly on the prowl. So we watch as he goes up and dances with a couple girls, who all turn and walk away. We stifle laughter. Then he starts dancing with the group again, before he starts dancing with the two girl recruits who were there. Matt dances awkwardly alone for a second, then "goes to the bathroom" (to cry). Upon returning...

Our Favorite
...the two girl recruits who were dancing with Kanuk and another guy are talking to each other, doing the whispery-nod-laugh-giggle-thing. Then they stop dancing with Kanuk and friend, then dance with me (both of them!) and say "we've decided you're our favorite!" This is all fine and dandy, as they were really fun girls, but they also wanted me to be their roommate next year at UW. I haven't made a call on where to go yet (and none of us are actually accepted yet...), so we'll...think...about that? Probably not.

Conference-Goers
In our hotel, there were a plethora of college-aged (but fairly young...I'd go freshman/sophomore) people milling about in the lobby carrying matching tote bags. Definitely conference swag. So while we were wondering what they could be here for, I caught a not-so-subtle hint: two rather large girls (boys?...whatever, they "matched") were sucking each other's faces off in the lobby. The GLBTQ conference was in town! I bet we got more free alcohol.

Blinders
Our mini-van got hit by a blind person. That's really all there is to it. Our motor-pool-van driver had stopped in the crosswalk, and a blind person walked right into the driver's side door. The kicker: they had a sighted friend who did nothing.

Those are the more memorable and story-worthy things that went on there. I have more on my list of stuff to blog about, but as I think more about it, they're not really that interesting unless you were there. And this post is long enough as it is.

Currently Listening to: "Animal," by Ke$ha. It's actually kind of musical. Huh.

1 comment: