Wednesday, June 2, 2010

NOOOOOO!!!

I am a little upset right now. Mostly because no one else has posted today. I am also upset because history was robbed. Or somebody was robbed anyway. Armando Galarraga. Perfect game. 28 outs. That is the sad part. Anyone who knows anything about baseball can figure out that there are 27 in a game. This guy had to get 28 and it ruined what should have been an awesome performance and made a fantastic outing heartbreaking. You can see it here and judge for yourself. Many people are calling this, along with the travesty that was officiating at that the end of last season, a reason to replace every umpire in the league. I can't say I disagree. The past two nights I have seen a home plate umpire who seemed more interested in making trouble with the players and coaches than calling the game, and one who clearly does not know an out from anything else that is happening around him. I'm pissed, quite frankly.

On the other hand, we have what could possibly be the best catch of 2010. If that link doesn't work you can watch it by means of the earlier link. Austin Jackson, MLB rookie of the month in April, knows what it means to make a big play in the pursuit of perfection. That boy deserves the rookie of the month honors for June based solely on that effort. He also had a few hits in the game I believe. My favorite part of that play was the look on Galarraga's face after the catch. He just smiles and goes back to work. If only every player in the league had that demeanor.

Well I have forgotten for the moment the recent skid of the Tigers. I love them once again, and hope to go to a game very soon. I'm looking at you Sam.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! It wasn't even close! I am outraged!! In the words of the commentators, "Why is he safe? Why is he safe? Why is he safe?"

    On the other hand, our rookie is kicking ass. I'm proud. I miss watching the games, and I have no one to watch the games at Bdubs with.

    Seriously. A week from tomorrow. Let's go to the game.

    ReplyDelete