Sunday, June 6, 2010

One of the Best Days Ever

This past Friday was one of the longest days of my life. It was also one of the best.

It started out very early, and not very promising. I woke up about every hour the night before and had to get up early. The reason for my dawn awakening was plans to visit the greatest amusement park on the planet: Cedar Point! I could barely contain my excitement on the drive there, only slightly tempered by the fact that Court's car does not have cruise control. We got to the park shortly after 10, didn't have to pay for parking, got a spot ten rows from the door, and barely had any traffic on the way in. Then we got to the entrance. I have never had to wait in line to get into the park before. I blame all the stupid buses that apparently all got there at the exact same time, which corresponded precisely with our arrival. Whatever, we got in eventually.

The lines for rides were a little confusing. Some, well most actually, had surprisingly short waits for how many people seemed to be in the park. The SkyRide had a line around the loading platform, so we walked. Raptor had a line back to the photo booth, so we skipped that one too. Then we got to Top Thrill. Half hour, you can't pass that up. After a short technical delay, we got on. Court almost died. I'm not kidding. She could barely walk after it and for the rest of the day kept gazing up at the top of the hill muttering about how she could not believe she was up there.

After that we went to our old standby, the Magnum. There is a sign next to the line for Magnum telling how when it was being built, the original Game Boy was being released. I thought this was fitting, since I had been playing our original Game Boy the previous day. We rode that one twice, then walked onto the Gemini. We have terrible luck riding wooden coasters. One of us (Court) always gets hurt. Have her tell you how much she likes the Mean Streak sometime. Well we were on the Gemini and at one point the ride snapped to one side, her head got whipped around, and I elbowed her in the neck. She was thrilled. After that we got a meatball sub and fries and a raspberry iced tea.

Next stop, the Millennium Force! We expected a long line. It was less than half an hour. So we rode it again. Its the tenth anniversary after all. The Millennium Force is the only hyper-coaster in the world without brakes in the middle of the ride. It is so fast. I love it and want one. If anyone has $25 Million laying around, let me know.

More stuff happened that day, but its time for lunch.

4 comments:

  1. Millennium Force is 10 years old? That went fast...I remember when it was new. And the only decent rides they've added in 10 years are MaxAir and SkyHawk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to include Top Thrill. I think Maverick is over-rated, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you like a giant swing? Maverick just has ridiculous lines. We rode Millennium twice in the time it would have taken to ride Maverick. We didn't make it over to the side of the park with MaxAir and Wicked Twister. I just like the sound that one makes when it starts up.

    ReplyDelete