Sunday, August 2, 2009

4 Days 4 Time Zones

So I'm back in Chicago now after spending a day in Ohio, a night in Salt Lake City, and the day before in Tahoe. It was quite a journey.

We left Tahoe for Reno and got to our flight 2 hours early like we are supposed to. Turns out our flight had a mechanical delay. This meant we took off two hours later and missed our flight to Cincinnati. As a result, Delta Airlines put us up in a hotel for the evening. However, this was not before they had sent the most important luggage we had (all our scientific samples and equipment) on a much later flight meaning we had to spend 4 extra hours in the Salt Lake Airport. This included us leaving the security checkpoints, but then reentering security to use our meal vouchers for dinner because we couldn't leave without our samples that had to be frozen overnight.

Finally, we got everything we needed after 4 hours of waiting and went outside to catch a shuttle to our hotel. Only they didn't have a shuttle coming. They told us they would be at the airport in 35 minutes. Eventually, Miguel shows up and takes us the 2.5 miles to our hotel which shall remain nameless because as I found out today a woman in Chicago is being sued for an offhand comment about a company on her twitter followed by 17 people. Anyway, we get inside at 10:30PM (We need to get up at 5AM to catch our flight) and we get comfortable. While arranging my pillows I find an unopened banana laying in between a couple of my pillows. Not thinking much of it other than this is really really disgusting, I threw it out, went to bed, and got up for the airport.

Getting to the airport, Andrew (The Graduate Student I work with) was told we could check in at the kiosks. I was told we had to use an attendant. As a result we waited 30 minutes in the full service line until we realized we had an hour to catch our flight and we had moved 13 feet. We took a chance and tried the kiosks, it worked, we caught our flight and got home. 

Bree met me at the airport and we came back to Oxford. As I was telling the story to her, she kindly reminded me that if there was a banana in the bed, clearly no one had changed the sheets from the night before...I still feel dirty.

I'll be back in Oxford in 5 days for RA training. Hopefully the doctors will get me healthy tomorrow.

2 comments: