Monday, August 24, 2009

Is It Over Yet? (sob)

This is the most intimidating first day of class ever. I will fill you in on what I have experienced later.

...

Since you have been waiting so patiently, here it is. While my lovely girlfriend was lamenting having to dance both the male and female parts in her social dance class (grandpa Ray would be so proud), I was being reminded over and over how little I actually retain from year to year. I wonder what I am going to end up having for dinner? At 8 in the morning, being told that you need to remember how to do Eigen value problems by a small Indian man (forehead, not feather) is enough to make you cry. Then at ten I learned that complex numbers will be important in my circuits class. For all of you who forgot high school math already, complex numbers are also known as imaginary and the teaching of them stops at "they exist" for most people.

Two of my classes handed out review sheets to exactly quantify how much had leaked out of our heads. A quick survey revealed the answer to be "more than we thought was supposed to go in in the first place." I think the saddest moment of the day came when I realized that one of the classes I felt least dumb in was the one that continued off of a class I got a D in.

A good note is that I am actually excited for aspects of three of my 5 classes. The two in the morning are just going to suck entirely. Also, since it is the first week, two of my labs are not meeting tomorrow so I don't have anything until 2:15 unless I want to get up at 11 and learn what I need to know about imaginary numbers.

OH! I picked up an intramural sign up sheet so if anyone wants to be on my volleyball team they best tell me soon and start practicing. Mediocrity will not be tolerated. And go to the rec and check out the awesome action shots taken by our very own Matt Smola, featuring Bree Erwin and myself. I hear we look pretty good. But seriously, I already have 3 people who want to play. Sand is only 4v4 so if we get enough we will make 2 teams. Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment