Sunday, May 23, 2010

I am the life of the party

I got home from a wonderful weekend in Cinci this afternoon and things seemed a little drab. No one seemed to be too excited about life, so I decided to launch my recently completed new rocket. It was perfectly calm until the second it lifted off, at which time the wind started gusting. I was less than pleased, but the thing did not end up in any trees so its all good. The recovery system on this one is a single ribbon streamer. I find this system to be a little more rudimentary than the parachute on my other rocket. The thing came crashing down, and I was a little surprised it was unharmed in the landing. There was no damage from the landing, but the top of the rocket (where the nose cone attaches to the body) was apparently slightly melted by the explosive charge that deploys the recovery system. I blame the fact that you are supposed to use three sheets of flame resistant recovery wadding and I only used one. Sue me, I only had two left and like to be frugal. Maybe they should make those things out of something more resilient than a paper towel tube. Or pass on the coating of incendiary liquid. Its like they want fireballs to rain from the skies. I wonder if we could set one on fire and launch it...

Back to above mentioned trip, I have driven 412 miles since the last time I filled up my car's fuel tank. It says it is almost empty, but I bet I could get to 450. Considering I was driving to make good time on the way down, I am impressed with the performance. Read "make good time" as "go faster than law enforcement would have been pleased with, but not overly reckless".

After a three hour trip, I now have a trucker tan. My left arm is significantly more tan than the rest of my body. Its super attractive. I think so anyway. Right...

I watched Atlantis: The Lost Empire over the weekend. It was trippy.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Next time, draw butterflies and stuff on your arm with sharpie before driving. The resulting trucker-tan will be more interesting. 2. Dude, get yourself a tiny little backup gas can and run your tank dry. Aren't you curious? Your car probably goes 50 extra miles just on the gas in the fuel lines (that's what happens when you take out the roof liner to save weight. Good thinking.)

    ReplyDelete