Tuesday, June 16, 2009

And Second

I used a microfilm reader today. I bet some of you have no idea what I am talking about. Read on!

Urban Geography (GEO 201) requires several research papers known as field interpretations. These involve finding a house, researching it and writing about it's architectural style and importance to the surrounding community. Well today I went to the library to try to find some info on a house from 1972. I quickly discovered that 1972 is not considered historic or important. Luckily they did write newspapers in this year, even in Oxford. Unluckily the newspapers were tiny. They were printed on these silly reels of film called microfilm. The only way to see what they say is to feed the reels into these ginormous technological dinosaurs called microfilm readers. Think of the oldest computer you can imagine and amplify the uselessness by a thousand and you have a pretty good picture. I was impressed by the fact that I could insert 10 cents into a box reminiscent of the ones attached to the mechanical horses at the front of Meijer and the huge machine would print whatever I happened to be looking at. I didn't have any money on me.

I plan on BSing most of the paper.

Indonesian music is creepy.

I hope I get to visit Courtney soon. I want to drive her dad's Porsche again.

No comments:

Post a Comment