Friday, June 12, 2009

Unplugged

We have no internet. I've been reduced to a) writing posts at home and then posting them when I get to work in the morning or b) sneakily writing posts at work (currently underway). I'm not too happy about this. But I suppose if every night around 7:30 my internet got really slow, I'd wonder what's up and put a password on my wireless too.

Last night, Matt Forrest was making a chicken pot pie. Honestly, it smelled really good. I had prepared a delicious double-egg and chicken sandwich with red onions and tomatoes cooked into the egg. I'm trying to time the disappearance of my lunch meat and vegetables with my departure for VACATION! Anyway, back to the chicken pot pie. So the microwave timer goes off and--oh boy--it's time for Matt to eat. Then, the unthinkable happened. The boxy cardboardy pot pie cooker had become moist with condensation from the cooking delicacy within. When Matt pulled out the hot box, the bottom gave way and so did the pie. I heard the smack of moist and steamy chicken, gravy and vegetables...and went over to take a look. My instant reaction to Matt: "Don't move, give me two seconds." This was going to be photographed.



And so it was. I scooped up the pot pie and before putting it down the disposal, offered it to him, in case he wanted to rough it and eat it anyway. I don't think he did.

Today, I went to the rec in the morning. I prefer the mornings because there's no one there to a) intimidate me (anyone there at 6am is either my age and there for the same reasons or is using their AARP discount for membership) or b) get in the way. Today, as I was walking down the staircase to the locker room, an older man asked if I wanted to play handball with him. I didn't quite have handball in mind for the morning, so I politely declined, "I wouldn't even know how to play, maybe some other time though."

You tend to see the same people at the rec when you go at the same time day in and day out. So I emerge from the locker room with my belongings safely locked away, and I run into Mr. Handball again, who has set up camp on the ping pong table. A display of gloves, goggles, and blue raquetballs surrounds his old gym bag. He flags me down again. "I found a nice young lady to play this morning. If you ever want to play, I'm here every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. And Miami has a--you're a student right?--ok good, well there's a student club if you're interested in joining them as well." I had decided earlier that handball sounded like something fun to learn, so maybe when I get back from vacation I'll take him up on his offer. I think I'll read the rules first.

NEWSFLASH: The chemistry department storeroom has a ton (literally) of glassware (beakers, flasks, condensers, cool curly things, etc.) that it can't throw away (don't ask me why) but can't use...which means they're giving it away!!! Now, I don't think anyone should eat, drink, lick, etc. any of these items, but if you want anything, let me know! I snagged a couple florence flasks and volumetric flasks for kicks and giggles.

Anyway, that's about all I have for now. I'm headed to Hilton Head, South Carolina this upcoming week with no promise of internet, so should that be the case, expect a good post or two when I return. Not that very many people follow this blog, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment