Sunday, June 21, 2009

Best of: My Birthday

So yesterday was my 21st birthday. I can't think of a better place to celebrate than in a college town...during alumni weekend. Uptown was busy, so it wasn't awkward and empty-like. It was a pretty good time; I'll share some entertaining excerpts here:

- The house we went to had a stripper pole (Carmen Electra brand, if you're curious). One of the girls who lived there practiced on it way to much. She tried to get Eric to pay her for her little show and dance, and he understandably said "no way." She got a little miffed, so I told her, "In his defense, it is a stripper pole, and well, you're still wearing clothes." Not that the removal of this girl's clothes was anywhere in the picture, I just pointed out that she was improperly demanding cash. She seemed a little offended and said "it's not a stripper pole, it's a dancing pole." My bad. The box clearly said "Carmen Electra Portable Stripper Pole."

- And portable it was! After a little time spent playing flip-pong (I don't recommend their rules, at all.) Eric, Matt, Nathan and I went back to where the pole was. It was like a big fireman pole so I jumped on and spun down and around to the floor. Where I stayed. Then, across my field of vision I see Eric leap at the pole so as to fling around it. The pole decided here that it wanted to demonstrate its portability. So with the base of the pole still between my legs, it begins to fall over. Fortunately, I was left unharmed.

- A guy pulled a knife out on me last night. The intention was to prepare a beer for shotgunning (probably the most anticlimactic part of the evening), but the beer was in my hand and I didn't quite trust his depth perception. I asked him if he were a boy scout (it seemed logical at the time) and he replied with "I'm a MAN SCOUT." I was apparently cool with that.

- My orange hat was fairly popular with Nathan last night, and while walking to a bar uptown, he decided to steal it from me. We were in front of 45 East, with big glass windows next to the sidewalk. Being alumni weekend, it was packed. Nathan and I got into a tiff over the hat, right in front of these old women at a windowside table. As we walked away, it was brought to our attention that these women had been watching, and looked a little alarmed. So I walk back in front of the window, look at the ladies, and with my arms spread out in a "calming-the-crowd" fashion, I said "it's ok, we're cool." I think they appreciated it.

-One of the two door guys at Pachinko's can't read. I show him my ID, he looks at it, squints a little, and then pulls the top off of his black sharpie, to write x's on my hands. At this, I start to say "it's my birthday," but not to worry, because Natalie (a friend of mine who lived in the house with the stripper dancing pole) was already screaming "IT'S HIS BIRTHDAYYYY!!!" The second door guy promptly re-evaluated my ID and gave me a wristband. The only issue is that I had x's on my hands (I didn't want to fight the first door guy so he x'd me)...

- Which leads to my penultimate quest for the men's room. I've never been to the bathroom at Pachinko's. So I ask Nathan where to find it. He points to a little hallway and says "right there." Not caring for anything else but washing the x's off my hand (I'm 21, dammit!), I proceed down the hallway and through the door. Looking back, I probably burst through the door, but regardless, I ended up in a brightly lit room with a bunch of guys standing around. The walls were bare, the floor was just concrete...this was not the bathroom. Thinking that the bathroom was simply down the stairs (which were large and industrial-looking), I started to go down them. I was turned around by an older-looking guy walking up the stairs saying something about the police in a fairly urgent tone of voice. So I decide I'm in the wrong place and get out of there...

- Through the wrong door. I exit into a fairly crowded bar, as all the broskis were leaving the brightly lit room as well. The only issue is that I was on the wrong side of the bar. I probably looked like a fool, but I quickly exited the bar (not the establishment, just their behind-bar area) and found Nathan. "WHERE did you say the bathroom is??" "Down there on the right." Key details...

That's about it. We had fun, and thanks to everyone who called or facebooked me, I appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment