Friday, June 26, 2009

Today, Tomorrow, and 10 Years Ago

After a few days of uneventful, seemingly non-bloggable Oxford life, big things are happening in this 24-hour period. 1) We went to a party last night. 2) We're now truly inspirational. 3) James is visiting tonight!

1.) Yes, a party. To be specific, we went to two (2) parties. One was more of the cook-out variety. It featured people I mostly didn't know, except for a girl whose name I recognized from e-mails. She of course had no idea who I was. The second of the two parties was quite a trip. Literally. While Matt Forrest decided to ditch out on us for a different party, Eric, Bree, and I decided to head to Slow Idaho (the house, not the lethargic state). Wouldn't you know it, we are about to leave the apartment and hear a sharp clap of thunder (oh the descriptiveness). "Oh, that could suck," said Bree. "C'mon, we going to a party!" Eric replied. So off we went.

3 minutes later, we're huddling under a tree to avoid the pouring rain. Eric is cupping his phone to his ear, trying to call for a ride, while his other hand was cupped over the phone to protect it from the rain (and itself). We decide to book it for the nearby bank ATM drivethru. At this point, Eric is still drinking the "Juicy Juice" that he had been carrying from the apartment. He finishes it and then debates depositing his cell phone to keep it out of the rain. I'm quite certain he would have too, except that it wouldn't fit in the slot. Damn. So we waited a few minutes, and ran from overhang to overhang in the parking lot/rear of CVS, eventually seeking windy refuge in the CVS pharmacy drivethru. After all this, it occurs to Bree that she could hail Lynn via cellular telephone and have her pick us up. Of course, at that instant, the rain stops. Damn. So Bree turns back ("I have to pack") and Eric and I continue on to the party. We did some puddle jumping, and arrived at Slow Idaho wet and half naked.

Turns out there were probably more freshmen-to-be at this party than anyone else. They had ditched out on the orientation "social" and had somehow been picked up by someone from the house. It was actually kind of awkward. I felt like I was promoting the kind of behavior that I had been so judgemental of at that age. I did meet one kid who was going to be a biochemistry major (!!!) and told him how awesome it is. We left around 12:30 and had a fairly uneventful walk home.

2) So I have a friend, Molly, who I (apparently) played rec soccer with back in the days of elementary school. Having met her for the first time again on Green Beer Day this past spring, we're now of course facebook friends. By default, she was invited to our shameless blog promotion on facebook. Finding it brilliant, she and her friends have started a similar project (which I'm looking forward to reading). So I'm checking it out, and apparently, we're "starting a revolution in other parts of the world." On top of this, I get a text message last night from Molly, informing me that another girl I kinda sorta remember know from elementary school (G.A.T.E., I believe) had just proposed a toast in my honor. Cool.

3) To round out the "oh wow I used to live in a different town with different friends who I haven't talked to in forever" moment, my friend James is coming to visit today! We met in kindergarten and continued through the rest of elementary school together, and have some rather endearing stories. I'll give some topics: Ode to Sock Men's Fragrance (a 4th grade creation), James being punished for saying "hell" in the context of a religous discussion (Maggie Smith, Rachel Csonka, I blame you and your posse), nearly getting into what would've been a fairly weak fistfight in the Canadian wilderness...the list goes on. So, James is coming to visit and it's going to be great.

This should be a good weekend...there's sure to be more to come. Oh, and if I could learn 1,000-5,000 new vocabulary words before I take the GRE, that'd be great.

3 comments:

  1. I'm kind of upset by the reference to "Matt Smola's Blog" people should realize how much their thoughtlessness hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it wasn't even his idea...ouch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the "toast" that matt smola got was grouped in with 4 other things, as we traditionally toast to 5 things each drink unless there are outstanding circumstances. to show you our dedication and sympathy, dontgochasingwaterfalls.blogspot.com would like to inform you that yesterday's bloody marys were toasted SOLELY to apt212 as a colletive, because we're THAT serious about inclusion and giving credit where it is due.

    ReplyDelete