Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Still Hanging in There

It's been another roughish day. I woke up with a body temperature of 96.5. Suffice it to say I was cold. But after Bree was awesome and got me some tea to warm me up, I got back over 97. She got her job back at the vet for next year, so she was pumped. Plus she didn't have to do her research until 10:45 which meant that she was able to be there to help me. We watched Psych until she went to work. That show is amazing. I miss Scotty Lippert.

I spent most of the day reading. I have been reading Barry Switzer's autobiography. For those of you who aren't aware, Switzer spent 16 years as the coach of Oklahoma. He led OU to 3 national championships and several Big 8 (Now the Big XII) championships. He was the scapegoat for the violations and crime that occurred throughout his tenure at the University. But listening to his side of the story, you feel compassion for the coach. Switzer gets what is wrong with college athletics. While I don't agree with him that players should be paid, I do think that universities have duties to their programs considering that they are responsible for what college football has become--A giant money machine that chews up and spits out most athletes after 4 years if not sooner, bringing millions to the university while maintaining a face of being responsible for their athletes despite all the violations commonly heard about. That said, I still absolutely obsess over college football.

Miami does a great job when it comes to taking care of their athletes. Miami is also not a major college football program and stresses academics above all else--the way it should be. I'm sure holes could be placed in this argument, but I challenge anyone to tell me that a school like Miami (FL) can place in the same academic range as students here.

The argument is then made, as Switzer says in his book, that many of these athletes come from backgrounds in which they cannot afford basics in a standard of living. That's a fair assessment. However, these players do choose to go to Miami (FL) over Miami (OH), and could come to Oxford instead, where the cost of living is much cheaper. That said I do believe if a school is providing a scholarship for an athlete, they have the responsibility to ensure that student has the basic needs in life. At the same time, non-athletes should then be given the same assurances. I would love to ask Switzer what he thinks of this. And while he might say that his scout teamers are helping to bring millions to the university, I maintain that those students are not serving the purpose of the university, but the student with the 4.0 from a family below the poverty line is not only becoming an important representative of the institution, but may in the future bring money to the university.

While I may be sick, I'm keeping myself occupied. 

I've been reading environmental news and journal articles as well, but I'm sure Matt has given you all the science you need for now (You should hear his pickup lines--classic).

Hopefully I'll be healthy soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment