Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Matt Forrest has got it right

If you haven't read Matt Forrest's post about working in the Honors Program, you really should. He has it right. After 3 years of college at 2 different universities (Miami and the University of Missouri), I've met hundreds, probably over 1000 students from all majors and all life plans. 

As freshman, some of us feel that we know exactly what we want to do. Others have no idea. Those of us that feel we know exactly what we want create these gigantic 4 year plans where we have our entire college career worked out. We feel that we have to hit every part of that plan or we will some how be at a disadvantage when we leave. Other students, those who have no idea what they want to do, experience various aspects of college, and the truth is, they may be better of for doing so.

I speak from experience. I entered the University of Missouri with a 4 year plan. My courses were set, I would graduate with a degree from the journalism school, and I would get a broadcast job in a small market and work my way up to ESPN or FOX SPORTS. Nothing should get in my way. God forbid I decided to take an elective not in my plan.

Funny thing happened. I got to school, started taking my required science course (biology), and realized I loved science. So much so in fact, that I immediately declared a double major in biological sciences and journalism. I also got involved in tutoring through this leadership class I was taking and realized how much I loved the field of education and wanted to fix its shortcomings. 

In short, I went to college with my life planned out and realized I wanted something completely different when I got there. I ended up transferring to Miami because it was a school that offered excellent programs in a wide range of majors and campus life would allow me to be involved in anything I wanted.

I'm now a double major in zoology and environmental science. I still do my journalism too. I'm the General Manager of WMSR, the campus radio station, I broadcast 2 sports talk shows a week and do play-by-play and color for Miami Redhawks Football, Basketball, and Hockey, and I write a sports column for the Miami Student. I'm in charge of the Miami University Transfer Student Organization, I serve on a couple of boards that meet with administration, and I'm an RA.

None of that was in my four year plan. Students (and their parents) need to realize that college is about finding yourself. There will be some people who know exactly what they what. Congratulations to them. But the vast majority will finish college and still not be quite sure. That's where Matt is at. I'm there too. But I know I have plenty of options because I have be able to enjoy every facet of college. And being a well rounded person will make me more than prepared for the next step in my life. I know my parents agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment