Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ummmmmmm WTF!

So I guess I never really said what I was doing over the summer, but I am here taking classes and currently working for the honors program and touring for admissions. Fun stuff I know.

Anyways part of what I am doing with honors involves introducing students going through orientation to the honors program. These kids have their entire life planned out, I mean honestly you haven't even started college and your worried how if you take one class over another (FREAKING ELECTIVES) then your entire life will be changed you wont get into med school, etc etc and then Mom agrees, just louder and she likes to glare. those parents are the worst, screaming matches resulted today over stuff honestly I have no freaking control over. I mean calm down, your daughter will get into Med School, life changes you can't control everything, so just freaking relax. "It's a good way to explore other option I mean I changed my major A LOT." - "Oh well Elizabeth is NOT going to change her major she IS going to be a doctor." And it really was all yelled back at me- Elizabeth remains silent I wonder if she even knows what she wants...I bet not.

To be honest I am graduating college in a year and I have NO CLUE where I will be one year from now and I am completely okay with that. I think it would be so mundane to lock yourself into one option and NEVER explore what else is out there. These kids and parents NEED to relax or they are not even going to enjoy themselves. I really hope they just need to get away from mom and dad and breath a little. I don't think some of parents realize how much harm they may be doing or maybe they're are really scared to let go and taking it out on ALL of the wrong people. I mean let's be honest they can't be there for every step of the way, their parents weren't and they turn out fine. I am so glad I never felt that pressure from my mom, she's happy as long as her children are and if I'm not it's up to US to figure it out. She rarely steps in unless it's life or death or we ask nicely :-)

Oh well another group of parents tomorrow - I like tours better so much less intense, because at that point I'm in control.

Oh well heading back to 212. There were A LOT of potholders discovered last night I hope there are more to come and who knows maybe a wonderful card from Devon.

Please forgive anything that does not make sense I rarely read back over what I write; don't want to reconsider everything so fast.

Oh well....Peace Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment